The 2nrich Holistic Wellness & Vitality Centre operates on several health philosophies, one of which is ‘in order to be healthy, one must exist in a healthy environment.’ As such 2nrich aims to promote healthy and sustainable practises, leading by example. 2nrich takes many steps to reduce its toxic and carbon footprint thereby making a significant commercial contribution to ensure a happier and healthier future for generations to come. For 2nrich, improving sustainability and reducing environmental harm by industry is one of the driving factors behind our centre’s existence.
Never in the history of humankind has health been so threatened by so many synthetically derived toxins – over 2 million compounds have been created since 1950. Over the last decade there has also been the introduction of serious electromagnetic pollution – something that is growing at a rapid rate.
At 2nrich we believe that education and the adoption of healthy lifestyles is mandatory, along with efforts to reduce environmental impact on a large scale – something that impacts upon everyone and every living thing on this planet.
At the 2nrich centre we operate under a range of protocols aimed at reducing our environmental impact to leave the future in a state of ‘sustainable abundance’, as per Dr. Lisa’s environmental ideology. She believes that our limited natural resources, if managed wisely can sustain our existence indefinitely. Human ingenuity, if directed toward doing good for each other and our planet, can create a clean environment with health and harmony for all inhabitants. Aside from investing in various technologies to capture polluting waste products such as our mercury dental amalgam retention systems, energy efficient appliances, we recycle anything we can and constantly endeavour to reduce our waste by-products.
Plastic barriers are now widely used in dental practises to assist with infection control as they protect equipment and surfaces, preventing cross infection and minimising the use of surface disinfectants and detergents. On average the typical dental treatment uses 12-15 pieces of plastic barrier per patient. An average dental clinic often has at least 15 treatments per day equating to well over 200 pieces of wasted plastic going into landfill everyday. These traditional plastics take 100-1000’s of years to break down which is why we at 2nrich use Environmental Plastics Inc 100% Oxo-biodegradable material – a cost effective, degradable plastic that is degradable to non toxic end products within 1-2 years in landfill.
At 2nrich we go the extra mile to reduce our environmental impact, increase public education of such impacts and to lead by example, aiming to inspire others.
At 2nrich we go the extra mile to reduce our environmental impact, increase public education of such impacts and to lead by example, aiming to inspire others. As we transform our workplace and our behaviours we are creating the small steps that lead to positive change. While these measures may seem small on a global scale, by inspiring others to do the same they add up to create a better place for us to live and for our children to inherit.
Below lists some of the steps 2nrich takes to minimise our environmental footprint.
- Eco-friendly paint has been used to paint the interior of the 2nrich centre.
- We avoid the use of mercury based fluorescent lights marketed as being ‘energy efficient’ as these are the number one source of mercury contamination in landfill, instead we are using environmentally friendly LED lighting.
- At 2nrich we use digital x-rays to avoid the use of lead based films and to reduce radiation exposure which is accumulative in the body.
- Our flooring is Australian Red Gum timber, salvaged from being pulped.
- The drinking cups at 2nrich are made from compostable corn as opposed to plastics. The tea, coffee and chocolate products available to you are also sourced from FairTrade.
- We utilise electronic sensors on taps and soap dispensers to reduce waste.
- The 2nrich uniforms are made from Australian grown organic cotton and manufactured locally in Melbourne.
- We use the Turbo Smart B system with an inbuilt amalgam retention system to prevent toxic mercury waste leaking into our waterways.
- We use dental bibs made from recyclable paper and we have converted to autoclavable Triplex tips to reduce waste.
- All of our plastic barriers used in dental procedures are made from 100% oxo-biodegradable material.
- Everything that is recyclable is recycled! Paper, plastic, cardboard, even our batteries and ink cartridges are recycled through Planet Ark.
- All stationary, paper and envelopes are made from recycled paper.
- All dry cleaning for the clinic is done by Ewash saving 40% than conventional dry cleaning and also reducing chemical waste.
- Our old phones and computers were donated to Sustainability Victoria.
- At 2nrich we scrutinise all of the products used at the clinic always using environmentally friendly products where available, such as the Earthcare range or tissues, toilet paper and paper towels.
- All wood veneers in the 2nrich centre are Australian made, from Amerind’s collection of timbers following the Forestry Stewardship Council’s guidelines.
- Our dental heath care range includes products that have been scrutinized for their ingredients are free from toxins like BPA & Fluoride.
- We strongly prefer products that take similar environmental measures to 2nrich, including biodegradability and sustainability.
In the future 2nrich aims to pursue a number of projects relating to our environmental concerns including:
- The 2nrich Holistic Wellness and Vitality Centre aims to be completely carbon neutral over the next five years.
- Combating the polluting of mercury into the environment from dental services and crematoriums.